Industry: Automotive Tires; Distribution and Warehousing; Wholesale Import and Export
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Contract: 1 Year with Possibility of Extension
As one of the world’s leading tire companies, Maxxis delivers high-quality tire products to customers in 180 countries. Founded in 1998, Maxxis Canada, one of the Maxxis’ worldwide distribution centres, has been enjoying steady growth of market shares and consequent expansion of operations. Our major clients are from the North American auto industry and tire wholesalers throughout Canada. Being proud of our products and our people, Maxxis employees are able to maintain a healthy work-life balance by operating according to T.I.R.E.S.: Teamwork, Integrity, Responsibility, Enthusiasm and Service.
Progressive company growth has resulted in an immediate opening for a Distribution Manager, reporting to the Director of Operations.
The Distribution Manager is responsible for the day-to-day and strategic operations of the distribution warehouse, overseeing the warehousing and shipping functions and ensuring the daily shipping goals are being met in a safe work environment. The Distribution Manager has budgetary responsibility and ensures shipments are delivered expeditiously at the lowest practical cost. Additionally, this position is responsible for the daily management of routing, driver scheduling, and interactions with customer plants, carriers and other departments. He/she has direct responsibility for all department employees to ensure proper orientation, training, development, compensation and working conditions are present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to:
1. Responsible for leading a team in shipping, receiving, order processing, inventory storage and management.
2. Deliver correct outbound shipments on time according to shipping orders.
3. Manage inbound shipments warehouse receipts efficiently.
4. Ensure distribution operations are in compliance with statutory regulations and with Company’s policies and procedures.
5. Ensure accurate “inventory on hand” information is maintained on the ERP system
6. Manage and maintain warehouse facility and equipment.
7. Manage distribution supplies in a cost-effective way.
8. Responsible for employees’ safety and health; create and maintain a safe work environment, and ensure compliance with all applicable health and safety regulations.
9. Manage product quality inspection to ensure only qualified products are supplied to customers
10. Serve as a liaison between Maxxis and customers’ plants to provide best service and resolve any issues and concerns related to shipment and delivery.
11. Manage inbound and outbound shipping service with freight forwarder and carriers
12. Responsible for carrier/freight forwarder use and performance, obtain the best freight rates and services for outbound shipments, oversee pricing and service agreement, responsible for all related costs approval.
13. Provides analysis and management reports related to costs under distribution, budget and
variances including freight and all related costs, facility and equipment maintenance, supplies
and labor cost, etc.
14. Responsible for 3rd party warehouse service and cost agreement which benefits the Company.
15. Interviews, hires, and provides orientation for new employees; plans, assigns, and directs work;
addresses barriers and resolves problems.
16. Trains, motivates, coaches, rewards, and disciplines subordinates; resolves personnel issues by
partnering with HR and Management team.
17. Develops on-going process improvements to drive departmental efficiency.
18. Establish, document, implement and enforce distribution department policies and procedures
19. Supports senior Management with development and implementation of corporate policies and
20. Hold regular toolbox meetings and departmental trainings
21. Recommend budget expense levels to the Director of Operations. Monitors and reports
regularly on departmental performance against plan and budget
22. Create and design systems and procedures to increase overall efficiency. Brings new ideas to
management and be able to implement changes and improvements effectively.
23. Work closely with customs department to manage inventory handling and distribution
operations; ensure full compliance with bonded warehouse regulations
24. Other responsibilities and projects as assigned by Director of Operations.
Qualifications and skills:
- Strong business, leadership, planning and organizing, as well as conflict management skills
- Strong logistics and planning skills.
- Knowledge and experience working with electronic forklifts
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of safety practices and regulations, including JHSC compliance.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Excellent customer service
- Effective time management skills
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Sense of urgency and self-motivation: ability to work independently
- Have the proven ability to multi-task in a deadline driven environment.
- Proficient with computers and all required software, including Windows, Microsoft offices
- Words, Excel, PowerPoint, ERP/WMS
- Knowledge of current shipping technology is required
- Five (5) + years of experience leading a team in a distribution or order fulfillment environment, preferred under Canadian bonded warehouse practices with at least three (3) + years’ experience at management level
- Must have experience managing electronic forklifts
- Previous experience with OEM suppliers is a plus.
- Experience managing a team of 15 or more.
- Experience using warehouse based software.
- Experience analyzing large amounts of data to develop and execute a course of action
- Experience using performance management to develop & coach employees
- Member of JHSC, co-chair experience preferred.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required;
- A bachelor's degree in a field such as management or business is preferred.
- JHSC part 1 and 2 certification is preferred
- First Aid and CPR certification is preferred
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Workplace is a distribution centre consisting of office and warehouse environments, with variable noise, temperature, and odor (rubber) levels
- Required to stand for prolonged periods of time
- This role routinely uses forklifts, standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers
- Handle light to heavy items, including lifting, pushing and/or pulling various weights
How to Apply
- Email cover letter and resume to HR@maxxiscanada.com
- Please quote job title (Distribution Manager) in the subject line
- No follow-up calls, please; successful candidates will be contacted by phone or email
Maxxis provides equal opportunities to all applicants. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only candidates selected for the interview will be contacted.
If you require accommodation in the application process, please contact us by email at HR@maxxiscanada.com.